15 November 2019
WHITE SAND BEACHES…
This is South Lantau living.
Long-term HK Permanent Resident Max Lever - Senior Consultant at OKAY.com - talks about the benefits of South Lantau living.
It’s no secret how hard it is to find space and value-for-money in Hong Kong, one of the world’s most expensive property markets. But four years ago my family discovered the (not-so) well-kept secret that is South Lantau. A dramatic lifestyle change quickly followed!
We had loved living on HK Island in various locales over many years, with all the convenience urban living had to offer. Although we knew friends living in South Lantau who had taken the plunge years earlier, we were reluctant to leave the perceived comforts of city living. But once we realised that South Lantau offered the chance to have “the best of both worlds”, we decided to dive in.
Is It Really Possible To Have The Best Of Both Worlds?
Working in town during the week keeps us connected to the dynamic energy of this great city. But having a coastal weekend retreat gives us a unique balance that is almost impossible to find elsewhere in Hong Kong.
Open Space Has A Powerful Therapeutic Quality…
And there’s more space to live and play in South Lantau than just about anywhere else in Hong Kong. It has literally transformed our Hong Kong life.
Sale Properties Currently on The Market
A Stylish, Stunning, Spa Home. Minutes from Pui O Beach, an attractively priced option offering a quality lifestyle.
The Ultimate, Unique, Getaway Retreat. Set in a convenient location, on a 10,000 Sqft Plot Of Land. With 10 Ft Entry Gates to assure total privacy.
Transport - it’s not as far as you think! Options include ferries, buses, taxis and private cars.
- The relaxing Fast Ferry from Mui Wo to Central is a 30-minute journey. Here’s the ferry schedule.
- Pui O to Mui Wo can be 6-8 minutes by car, bus or taxi
- Alternatively access from Pui O to Tung Chung MTR is 15-25 minutes
- Driving from Pui O to Central can take 35/45 minutes on the highway (as a resident of South Lantau you can obtain a special car permit granting access to the South Lantau road system)
- The highway drive from Tung Chung to Kennedy Town is spectacular and non-stop (no traffic lights!)
Schools - International school buses collect/drop off at Central Ferry Piers. There are also many popular International and Local Pre-Schools, Kindergartens, Primary and Secondary Schools available on Lantau. The government’s official list (with links to each school’s website) can be found here.
- More space for your money! Just as an example, a 14 M Budget in Pui O can buy you an upgraded Village House of 2,100 SQFT (gross area) compared to 500-800 SQFT options on HK Island.
- Weekends become mini holidays and Bank Holiday weekends seem to last forever. Breathtaking beaches, hiking, biking trails and waterfall picnics on your doorstep. Spa and massage options for those who wish to indulge, farmers veg and fruit shops with artisan bakeries for special purchases. Tung Chung is only 15 minutes away for those who enjoy Cinemas and Mall life.
- Plus treasured attractions such as Big Buddha, Tai O and Disneyland all within easy reach – especially great when you’ve got visitors in town!
- No traffic queues (unless you meet a wandering herd of buffalo on the road!)
- Pollution indexes significantly lower than urban areas.
Admittedly, it’s hard for me to list real negatives to living on South Lantau, though the commute and “village” vibe is not for everyone. But that’s what makes it so special!